St. Augustine's Catholic Church
601 NW 2nd Avenue
Cohasset, Minnesota 55721
Parish Phone: 218-999-5491
Business Office is located at St. Joseph's: 218-326-2843
St. Augustine's Catholic Church is located at 601 Second Avenue NW in Cohasset, MN. When traveling East or West on Highway 2, just turn North at the stoplight by the SuperAmerica station. We are just two blocks up the road
Available 1/2 prior to Masses or contact our Pastors to set up an appointment
The congregation of St. Augustine's Catholic Church welcomes you to our web site, but we'd rather meet you in person! Not unlike the patron Saint whose name we bear, the parishioners of St. Augustine's are a friendly, accepting and outgoing group who welcome friends and visitors alike. Come share a Sunday service with us, then join us for the worlds best cup of coffee and homemade treats afterward. It's not the inside of heaven's gates - but it's the next best thing!
|Council Members:||Mary Jones (Secretary), Frank Frederickson, Scott Ritter, Paul Batterman, Paul Daigle, Tony Neurer, Gary Gibeau.|
|Trustees:||Marlene Cole, Stuart Boelter|
|Prayer Chain:||Contact Marlene Cole|
|Maintenance:||Contact Dan O'Brien|
|Religious Education:||Contact Penny O'Brien at (218) 999-5766.|
|Council of Catholic Women:||Lisa Neururer|
|Baptisms & Weddings:||Fr. Weiss or Fr. Friebohle|
|Emergencies:||(218) 999-0194 (Rectory)|
Cohasset began as a railway village in Bass Brook township that was named in honor of a city by the same name in Massachussets. In 1892 the Cohasset post office was established and 10 years later in 1902, the village was incorporated. St. Augustine's Catholic Church is over 100 years old with a proud history dating back to those earliest days of the city of Cohasset.•1906
Father Louis Buechler celebrated Mass at the home of Morris O'Brien in Cohasset.
Father A Turbiaux was the first priest to celebrate Mass on a regular schedule at Cohasset. He would come from Grand Rapids once a month.
A fund was started and money raised for a church building in Cohasset.
•July 29, 1908
St Augustine's Parish is incorporated. Father Turbiaux is pastor, P. Hoolihan is Treasurer.
Construction of the new church building is completed and the first Mass is held in the new building. Cost of the new church is $2,410.56. This building was located one block east of the present church.
Work begins on the present-day church building. Father John C Nicholson is pastor.
•July 10, 1966
The new St. Augustine's church building is dedicated. The cost of the new building is $100,000. A 'time capsule' is placed into the outer wall of the church containing articles of the day encased in a copper box.
Addition of a social hall at the back of the church begins.
Construction is finished in October.
•July 26, 2008
St. Augustines Catholic Church celebrates it's Centennial with an open house dinner and special Saturday Mass. Bishop Dennis M. Schnurr presiding with pastor Paul Larson.
There are many areas in our church that a parishioner
can get involved:
- EUCHARISTIC MINISTER
- SERVER (ALTAR BOY OR GIRL)
- CLEANING AND IRONING THE ALTAR LINENS
- SUNDAY SCHOOL TEACHER
- SERVING GOODIES AFTER MASS ON SUNDAY
- HOSTING A FUNDRAISING BREAKFAST/DINNER
Being involved is an excellent way to give something of yourself. It takes very little of your time but is greatly appreciated by all members of the parish. It is what makes our little church community work in a big way!